Harry King adds to win tally with astonishing Knockhill performance

Harry King adds to win tally with astonishing Knockhill performance

Porsche UK Junior Driver Harry King produced one of the best drives of his career to secure a stunning sixth win of the season as the Porsche Carrera Cup GB headed to Knockhill for the fourth round.

Having taken an astonishing five wins in a row to establish himself in a commanding early season lead, Maidenhead-racer Harry made the trip to Scotland keen to maintain his impressive start to life in Britain’s fastest one-make series.

The talented teenager was the man to beat during pre-event testing in his Team Parker Racing run car, and then secured pole position with a storming lap in qualifying that saw him go two-tenths of a second quicker than anyone else.

That maintained Harry’s record of scoring pole at each of the four rounds held so far this season.

When the lights went out for the opening race, Harry made a storming start to lead the field into turn one and quickly set about building a lead with a series of laps that were noticeably quicker than anyone else.

However, Harry’s dream start to the season would end in heartbreaking fashion when a stone thrown up from the circuit caused damage that left fluid leaking from the rear of the car, forcing him to return to the pits at the end of the seventh lap to retire.

The disappointment of race one meant Harry was forced to start the second race of the weekend live on ITV2 from the back of the Pro class field in tenth overall, but he wasted little time in starting to pick off his rivals ahead.

Once again showing unrivaled pace on track, Harry scythed his way through the field to charge towards the podium places and having managed to pass title rival Josh Webster just after the mid-way point of the race, he found himself running second behind Scott McKenna.

McKenna was more than five seconds up the road, but Harry got his head down with a series of searing laps to reel in his rival as the laps counted down. Making his way through traffic, Harry closed onto the rear of McKenna’s car and forced his rival into a mistake on the run to Clarks on the last lap.

That saw McKenna run off across the gravel as Harry swept through into the lead, allowing him to secure an astonishing sixth victory of the season, leaving him 17 points clear in the standings heading into the next round of the year at Thruxton.

“We had so much pace in the first race but then we had a coolant leak caused by a stone that forced me to retire,” he said. “It’s a real shame that it put a stop to my record-breaking start to the year as the car was absolutely brilliant and I was building a good lead out front. It also meant there was more work to do in race two at a circuit where overtaking is really difficult, but that is racing and one of those things that can happen.

“I didn’t really have many expectations from tenth on the grid for race two and I knew it would be tough. However, to come through and win was the best way to bounce back and credit to the team for giving me a fantastic car.

“I worked hard to pick my way through and then set my sights on Scott when I got to second. There was a lot of work to do, but I could see the gap coming down and started to think that the win could be on, so I had to dig deep and forced him into an error.

“It’s a great way to reward the team for their hard work and I’m over the moon to have taken the win.”